What You will Experience
Uncover the little-known sake culture of Fushimi District in Kyoto. Insider sake brewery tour, sake tasting and food pairing with an expert will take you to the deep world of sake culture. In the brewery, come to understand the differences of sake and how these are produced. You’ll focus on the secret methods of sake brewing which have been passed down for generations. Through our expert-lead tasting session you’ll get the chance to learn the unique characteristics of different varieties of sake, discovering which type you most prefer and how to identify your favourites on menus and bottle labels. Through our food pairing session you will discover the way the taste of sake can completely change when paired with different dishes. This is a fun and educational experience for anyone who wants to learn more about sake and have a chance to try different types of sake
Insider Sake Brewery Tour
- Only included in 3-hour tour
You’ll take a short walk to visit the largest sake brewery in Fushimi, where you’ll deepen your knowledge of sake and witness traditional brewing processes which have been passed down from generation to generation. At the end of your brewery tour you’ll have the chance to taste a few of the flavors produced there.
Sake Tasting with an Expert
You’ll get to try flavors of sake you may never have experienced before – as we’ll introduce you to bottles which have never been exported. Your expert guide will explain the differences in taste – dry, sweet, rich, fruity – and how each of these are produced.
You’ll also be served various Otsumami – Japanese snacks which traditionally accompany alcohol – so you can see which types of food and flavor best accompany the different sake types.
〒612-8053 Kyōto-fu, Kyōto-shi, Fushimi-ku, Higashiōtechō, 755
- 13 min from JR Kyoto Station : Take a train on Kintetsu Line to Momoyamagoryo-Mae Station. Turn right and walk down the Shopping Street for 5 min.
- 16 min from Gion-Shijo Station : Take a local train on Keihan Line to Fushimi-Momoyama Station. Turn left and walk down the Shopping Street for 3 min.
- 16 min from Fushimi-Inari Station
- Local English speaking sake expert
Entrance fees (only for 3-hour tour)We'll go into a production area which public can't access. (depends on the brewery's schedule)
Sake tasting(10 kinds for 3-hour tour / 7 kinds for 1.5-hour tasting session) to understand different categories (include premium grade to freshly squeezed Sake only available in Japan )
Snacks for food pairingPairing some food with various sake. You will be amazed how food change the sake taste! Let's learn how to enjoy food pairing
- Cheat Sheet & Tasting Note (These will help you to choose your preferred sake in the future even you don't read Japanese.)
- Transportation to/from attractions
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Confirmation will be received when your request is accepted
- Children must be accompanied by an adult
- A small amount of walking is involved; comfortable walking shoes are recommended
- Recommend to bring a bottle of water
- Legal drinking age in Japan is 20; customers under 20 years of age will only be served non-alcoholic drinks
- Vegetarian option for snacks is available, please advise at time of booking if required
Extremely well done A great education and a lot of fun. We have already been able to put what we learned to good use.
Great tour, guide is very knowledgeable on sake, it's origin, the means of production etc. Great tasting experience where you can taste the nionshu alone and then with small bites for a food accord which enhance the tasting! Definitely a must!
A excellent tour, we had a very thorough tour of the Gekkeikan Okura museum & factory and we got to see and understand how Sake was and is made today. This was followed by a very well guided tasting and food pairing session with Kotaro...More
I thought I knew a bit about sake, but that was clearly not the case. The course with Kotaro was simply amazing. If you would like to know more about sake, I would definitely recommend this experience!
Kotaro was the perfect host. Outstanding English with an incredible depth of knowledge and experience. Gentle sense of humour and very kind with the complete novice. One of the best tours I've done. No question. If you want a "starters" guide to the complexity of...More
This is one of the best drinking tours I have been on - ever! My husband and I have always enjoyed sake, but we have such a better understanding of the brewing process, the types and the best foods to pair with which after our...More
The tour was phenomenal and couldn't have been better! It was just me and friend on the tour, so it luckily turned into a private tour! It really went into depth on the history, the in depth process and how to pair each sake appropriately....More