Our Sake Tasting Tour Options
What You will Experience
Uncover the little-known sake culture of Fushimi District in Kyoto. Insider sake brewery tour, sake tasting and food pairing with an expert will take you to the deep world of sake culture. In the brewery, come to understand the differences of sake and how these are produced. You’ll focus on the secret methods of sake brewing which have been passed down for generations. Through our expert-lead tasting session you’ll get the chance to learn the unique characteristics of different varieties of sake, discovering which type you most prefer and how to identify your favourites on menus and bottle labels. Through our food pairing session you will discover the way the taste of sake can completely change when paired with different dishes. This is a fun and educational experience for anyone who wants to learn more about sake and have a chance to try different types of sake
Insider Sake Brewery Tour
- Only included in 3-hour tour
You’ll take a short walk to visit the largest sake brewery in Fushimi, where you’ll deepen your knowledge of sake and witness traditional brewing processes which have been passed down from generation to generation. At the end of your brewery tour you’ll have the chance to taste a few of the flavors produced there.
Sake Tasting with an Expert
You’ll get to try flavors of sake you may never have experienced before – as we’ll introduce you to bottles which have never been exported. Your expert guide will explain the differences in taste – dry, sweet, rich, fruity – and how each of these are produced.
You’ll also be served various Otsumami – Japanese snacks which traditionally accompany alcohol – so you can see which types of food and flavor best accompany the different sake types.
〒612-8053 Kyōto-fu, Kyōto-shi, Fushimi-ku, Higashiōtechō, 755
- 13 min from JR Kyoto Station : Take a train on Kintetsu Line to Momoyamagoryo-Mae Station. Turn right and walk down the Shopping Street for 5 min.
- 16 min from Gion-Shijo Station : Take a local train on Keihan Line to Fushimi-Momoyama Station. Turn left and walk down the Shopping Street for 3 min.
- 16 min from Fushimi-Inari Station
- Local English speaking sake expert
- Entrance fees (only for 3-hour tour)We'll go into a production area which public can't access. (depends on the brewery's schedule)
- Sake tasting(10 kinds for 3-hour tour / 7 kinds for 1.5-hour tasting session) to understand different categories (include premium grade to freshly squeezed Sake only available in Japan )
- Snacks for food pairingPairing some food with various sake. You will be amazed how food change the sake taste! Let's learn how to enjoy food pairing
- Cheat Sheet & Tasting Note (These will help you to choose your preferred sake in the future even you don't read Japanese.)
- Transportation to/from attractions
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Confirmation will be received when your request is accepted
- Children must be accompanied by an adult
- A small amount of walking is involved; comfortable walking shoes are recommended
- Recommend to bring a bottle of water
- Legal drinking age in Japan is 20; customers under 20 years of age will only be served non-alcoholic drinks
- Vegetarian option for snacks is available, please advise at time of booking if required
The tour was very informative for a guy whose experience with sake is very limited. The best part for me was the visit to an old sake brewery close by. With this attraction you will know if sake is your thing or not.
I did not know there was so much to know about Sake! This was a fascinating deep dive into Sake, the process of creating it, the different categories and how to pair it with food and how to read the bottles. The expert was great,...More
Truly enjoyed the small group tour. So glad we did this. Very Easy to get to via subway and find. Great area to check out before tour. Excellent English and humor. Very Well run. Start with quick intro to sake - informative brief lecture and...More
Was worth it even before we tried our first sake! The short walk through the sake district was a special insight as was the tour of the sake brewery. Kotaro & Maria are thoughtful and experienced communicators and it was a pleasure to be in...More
We had a fantastic time on this tour. Not once did we feel rushed and it’s super informative. I’d highly recommend you set some time apart in your visit for this experience - such a fun way to spend a few hours.
This was an excellent introduction to sake - provided a good background on how it is made, and the handy ‘cheat sheet’ is a great tool to help you in your future sake selections. Enjoyed all the tastings and food mixes and the concept of...More