What You will Experience
Uncover the little-known sake culture of Fushimi District in Kyoto. Insider sake brewery tour, sake tasting and food pairing with an expert will take you to the deep world of sake culture. In the brewery, come to understand the differences of sake and how these are produced. You’ll focus on the secret methods of sake brewing which have been passed down for generations. Through our expert-lead tasting session you’ll get the chance to learn the unique characteristics of different varieties of sake, discovering which type you most prefer and how to identify your favourites on menus and bottle labels. Through our food pairing session you will discover the way the taste of sake can completely change when paired with different dishes. This is a fun and educational experience for anyone who wants to learn more about sake and have a chance to try different types of sake
Insider Sake Brewery Tour
- Only included in 3-hour tour
You’ll take a short walk to visit the largest sake brewery in Fushimi, where you’ll deepen your knowledge of sake and witness traditional brewing processes which have been passed down from generation to generation. At the end of your brewery tour you’ll have the chance to taste a few of the flavors produced there.
Sake Tasting with an Expert
You’ll get to try flavors of sake you may never have experienced before – as we’ll introduce you to bottles which have never been exported. Your expert guide will explain the differences in taste – dry, sweet, rich, fruity – and how each of these are produced.
You’ll also be served various Otsumami – Japanese snacks which traditionally accompany alcohol – so you can see which types of food and flavor best accompany the different sake types.
〒612-8053 Kyōto-fu, Kyōto-shi, Fushimi-ku, Higashiōtechō, 755
- 13 min from JR Kyoto Station : Take a train on Kintetsu Line to Momoyamagoryo-Mae Station. Turn right and walk down the Shopping Street for 5 min.
- 16 min from Gion-Shijo Station : Take a local train on Keihan Line to Fushimi-Momoyama Station. Turn left and walk down the Shopping Street for 3 min.
- 16 min from Fushimi-Inari Station
- Local English speaking sake expert
- Entrance fees (only for 3-hour tour)We'll go into a production area which public can't access. (depends on the brewery's schedule)
- Sake tasting(10 kinds for 3-hour tour / 7 kinds for 1.5-hour tasting session) to understand different categories (include premium grade to freshly squeezed Sake only available in Japan )
- Snacks for food pairingPairing some food with various sake. You will be amazed how food change the sake taste! Let's learn how to enjoy food pairing
- Cheat Sheet & Tasting Note (These will help you to choose your preferred sake in the future even you don't read Japanese.)
- Transportation to/from attractions
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Confirmation will be received when your request is accepted
- Children must be accompanied by an adult
- A small amount of walking is involved; comfortable walking shoes are recommended
- Recommend to bring a bottle of water
- Legal drinking age in Japan is 20; customers under 20 years of age will only be served non-alcoholic drinks
- Vegetarian option for snacks is available, please advise at time of booking if required
I didnt know what to expect when taking this tour, i was completely suprised to find out that as well as a brewery tour and tasting we would also be learning how to read Sake Bottle labels. It was a great day.
I had a lot of fun on this tasting It was like a college intro to the complexities of sake. I actually tried to sign up for three hour but It was sold out. So i signed up for the 1.5 hour one. I was...More
We visited a real brewery and learned a ton about the process and the ingredients. Then off we go to taste a bunch of different sake + food paring. The guide Kotaro was really knowledgeable and answered all our questions in perfect english. I highly...More
There is so much to learn about sake making and consumption, and Kotaro does a great job presenting the information in an understandable and logical flow. It was clear that he put a lot of thought and effort into crafting and refining the presentation and...More
We had a wonderful time on Kotaro's sake tour in Kyoto. It was incredibly informative, and we came away with a much greater appreciation for sake. Kotaro puts his heart and soul into the tour, and in our opinion it is a 'must do' while...More
I never knew the complexity, care, and reverence that's entailed in making Sake. This tour not only opened my eyes to theses elements, but it was very informative. The background, history, process, and esp. learning to pair Sake with various foods was super nice. I've...More
Nice and friendly guide and the explanation about the sake is very clear and informative. The 7 glasses of sake that I have tried are really good!
Wow, what an unexpectedly fantastic tour. I learned so much about sake making and Japanese cuisine and culture. It was also great to be far away from tourist zones and experience the real Japan. Even if you’re not a sake lover, this is a worthwhile...More
I have been exploring the different drinks of Japan (matcha tasting/tours at d:matcha, whiskey tasting at Yamazaki, etc.) and this sake tour was a great part of my exploration. Kotaro was knowledgable about the differences in sake and how it was made. Ending with a...More