Our Sake Tasting Tour Options
What You will Experience
Uncover the little-known sake culture of Fushimi District in Kyoto. Insider sake brewery tour, sake tasting and food pairing with an expert will take you to the deep world of sake culture. In the brewery, come to understand the differences of sake and how these are produced. You’ll focus on the secret methods of sake brewing which have been passed down for generations. Through our expert-lead tasting session you’ll get the chance to learn the unique characteristics of different varieties of sake, discovering which type you most prefer and how to identify your favourites on menus and bottle labels. Through our food pairing session you will discover the way the taste of sake can completely change when paired with different dishes. This is a fun and educational experience for anyone who wants to learn more about sake and have a chance to try different types of sake
Insider Sake Brewery Tour
- Only included in 3-hour tour
You’ll take a short walk to visit the largest sake brewery in Fushimi, where you’ll deepen your knowledge of sake and witness traditional brewing processes which have been passed down from generation to generation. At the end of your brewery tour you’ll have the chance to taste a few of the flavors produced there.
Sake Tasting with an Expert
You’ll get to try flavors of sake you may never have experienced before – as we’ll introduce you to bottles which have never been exported. Your expert guide will explain the differences in taste – dry, sweet, rich, fruity – and how each of these are produced.
You’ll also be served various Otsumami – Japanese snacks which traditionally accompany alcohol – so you can see which types of food and flavor best accompany the different sake types.
〒612-8053 Kyōto-fu, Kyōto-shi, Fushimi-ku, Higashiōtechō, 755
- 13 min from JR Kyoto Station : Take a train on Kintetsu Line to Momoyamagoryo-Mae Station. Turn right and walk down the Shopping Street for 5 min.
- 16 min from Gion-Shijo Station : Take a local train on Keihan Line to Fushimi-Momoyama Station. Turn left and walk down the Shopping Street for 3 min.
- 16 min from Fushimi-Inari Station
- Local English speaking sake expert
- Entrance fees (only for 3-hour tour)We'll go into a production area which public can't access. (depends on the brewery's schedule)
- Sake tasting(10 kinds for 3-hour tour / 7 kinds for 1.5-hour tasting session) to understand different categories (include premium grade to freshly squeezed Sake only available in Japan )
- Snacks for food pairingPairing some food with various sake. You will be amazed how food change the sake taste! Let's learn how to enjoy food pairing
- Cheat Sheet & Tasting Note (These will help you to choose your preferred sake in the future even you don't read Japanese.)
- Transportation to/from attractions
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Confirmation will be received when your request is accepted
- Children must be accompanied by an adult
- A small amount of walking is involved; comfortable walking shoes are recommended
- Recommend to bring a bottle of water
- Legal drinking age in Japan is 20; customers under 20 years of age will only be served non-alcoholic drinks
- Vegetarian option for snacks is available, please advise at time of booking if required
Highly recommend this tour. Kotaro was the perfect guide and incredibly knowledgeable. A great opportunity to learn the complexities of the sake varieties and brewing process.
Thanks for the nice Sake Experience. We really liked the setup to find the right sake for you and how to recognise it in the shop or on a menu. We tasted sake in combination with food, which brought a nice extra layer to the...More
This is an excellent way to learn about sake. We can now read a sale label and understand what we are looking at plus we know what type of sake we like. Well worth the money.
A very informative experience. I learned a lot about how sake is produced, how the taste varies, and how to choose which sake to purchase. The best part was obviously the sake tasting, which included some quite unique varieties. The guide was very well-informed and...More
Kotaro and Marika were fantastic guides on this interesting and informative tour. Had a great time learning more about the Nihonshu-making process (sake just means alcohol in Japanese), the history of it in Fushimi, the different types of Nihonshu, and how to pair food with...More
This was the most educational tour I think I have ever been on! Not only did I learn so much about Sake and Japanese culture and history, but it was also great value for money. I highly recommend the 3 hour tour, we almost went...More
We booked last minute onto this tasting and only regret is that we didn’t do it sooner on our trip around Japan. Kotaro was a great host. We learnt about “mouth seasoning” , how best to drink sake and how its taste also changes with...More
We visited the Kyoto Insider Sake Experience (KISE) as a large group of 6 people (two couples and grown children - drinking age in Japan is 20, so this isn't for kids or teens). We were all eager to learn a bit more about a...More