Our Sake Tasting Tour Options
What You will Experience
Uncover the little-known sake culture of Fushimi District in Kyoto. Insider sake brewery tour, sake tasting and food pairing with an expert will take you to the deep world of sake culture. In the brewery, come to understand the differences of sake and how these are produced. You’ll focus on the secret methods of sake brewing which have been passed down for generations. Through our expert-lead tasting session you’ll get the chance to learn the unique characteristics of different varieties of sake, discovering which type you most prefer and how to identify your favourites on menus and bottle labels. Through our food pairing session you will discover the way the taste of sake can completely change when paired with different dishes. This is a fun and educational experience for anyone who wants to learn more about sake and have a chance to try different types of sake
Insider Sake Brewery Tour
- Only included in 3-hour tour
You’ll take a short walk to visit the largest sake brewery in Fushimi, where you’ll deepen your knowledge of sake and witness traditional brewing processes which have been passed down from generation to generation. At the end of your brewery tour you’ll have the chance to taste a few of the flavors produced there.
Sake Tasting with an Expert
You’ll get to try flavors of sake you may never have experienced before – as we’ll introduce you to bottles which have never been exported. Your expert guide will explain the differences in taste – dry, sweet, rich, fruity – and how each of these are produced.
You’ll also be served various Otsumami – Japanese snacks which traditionally accompany alcohol – so you can see which types of food and flavor best accompany the different sake types.
〒612-8365 Kyōto-fu, Kyōto-shi, Fushimi-ku, Kurumamachi, 271-1
- 25 min from JR Kyoto Station : Take a train on Kintetsu Line to Momoyamagoryo-Mae Station. Walk for 9 min from the station.
- 20 min from Gion-Shijo Station : Take a train on Keihan Line to Chushojima Station. Walk for 7 min from the station.
- 20 min from Fushimi-Inari Station
- Local English speaking sake expert
- Entrance fees (only for 3-hour tour)We'll go into a production area which public can't access. (depends on the brewery's schedule)
- Sake tasting(10 kinds for 3-hour tour / 7 kinds for 1.5-hour tasting session) to understand different categories (include premium grade to freshly squeezed Sake only available in Japan )
- Snacks for food pairingPairing some food with various sake. You will be amazed how food change the sake taste! Let's learn how to enjoy food pairing
- Cheat Sheet & Tasting Note (These will help you to choose your preferred sake in the future even you don't read Japanese.)
- Transportation to/from attractions
- Hotel pickup and drop-off
- Confirmation will be received when your request is accepted
- Children must be accompanied by an adult
- A small amount of walking is involved; comfortable walking shoes are recommended
- Recommend to bring a bottle of water
- Legal drinking age in Japan is 20; customers under 20 years of age will only be served non-alcoholic drinks
- Vegetarian option for snacks is available, please advise at time of booking if required
Hashimoto-san showed me around in the old traditional Sake making district Fushimi and explained me a lot about the Sake making process. I could also visit a bar where I... read more
This is a must-do experience in Kyoto. The best part of the tour is that while there is tasting, there is also so much history and knowledge you acquire along... read more
This is the must-do-tour in your life if you are interested in Japanese sake and culture. I am Japanese. And always I wonder about Japanese sake cuz I’ve never met... read more
Had a blast! Would absolutely recommend to people looking for a Sake Tasting experience in Kyoto (Kyoto Fushimi Sake District - the traditional Sake brewery district). Kotaro and the staff... read more
I recommend this tour for those that skeptical about sake. Our guide, Kotaro, was a great host and he was very professional and knowledgeable. We had a great evening and... read more
I booked this tour during their slow season and the beginning stages of Covid-19 so I ended up being the only person on the tour. It was fantastic! My guide... read more
Awesome tour! I'm not a sake drinker (always thought I hate it), but I couldn't leave Japan without tasting some of it, obviously and I'm so glad I joined this... read more
Kotaro and Mayo were very informative about the processes of making sake and the different types of sake. It was very interesting to do the tasting session and see how... read more
So very glad I chose this tour. I had no knowledge of the creative process required for sake production. Kotaro painstakingly walked us through the entire “brewing” procedure and the... read more